Back when I was still young and attractive (Time only changes some things!) I was part of a student prayer group. We would get together at the Union buildings in Pretoria at 05:00 on Friday mornings.
One morning a cute girl in the group, Elsie, Dulcie, Marcie, Betty, Sarah or Martha, prayed for me. “I draw a circle aindeed, time does change some things, round Jandré and his whole life with the blood of Jesus.” The rest of the prayer I can not remember, as I was to overwhelmed by the wonderfulness of this prayer.
Just think! I am protected! And not your common garden variety protection either! I am protected by the blood of Jesus! (I must admit that even then the practical side was a bit, I think the correct theological term is “Yucky.” Covered with sticky red stuff that usually smells very bad very soon! But this is Jesus’ blood, so banish those thoughts that clearly exhibit a lack of faith and spiritual maturity.)
This kind of prayer, invoking the Blood of Jesus is common.
Let me quote a few examples easily found on the Internet:
In my own personal opinion – I believe that learning how to Plead the Blood of Jesus will give you one of the most powerful, if not the most powerful form of offensive prayer that you can use for any kind of deliverance and/or protection that you may need from the Lord.
This is just a part of a prayer, for the whole CAPITILIZED heresy visit THIS
WE INVOKE THE PRECIOUS BLOOD OF JESUS UPON THE AREA OF CONSCIENCE: UPON THE FLESH OF ____________, ALL THOUGHTS AND INFLUENCE OF THE FLESH. WE PRAY ARTERY, CAPILLARY, DISC, VERTEBRAE, MUSCLES, LIGAMENTS, TENDONS, BONES, LUNGS, (name personal ailments), ALL VITAL ORGANS, HEART, BACK AND BRAIN, ETC… COVERING FROM THE TIP OF HIS/HER HEAD TO THE BOTTOM OF HIS/HER SOLES. WE BATHE EACH CELL ALL THE PROCESSES OF THE BODY, THEIR IMMUNE SYSTEM, IN JESUS’ PRECIOUS BLOOD, TO FUNCTION IN THE PERFECT BALANCE AND HARMONY AS GOD INTENDED, GOD’S TIMING.
WE CLAIM THE PROTECTING, PRESERVING, RESTORATIVE AND CLEANSING POWER OF THE PRECIOUS BLOOD OF JESUS FOR ____________, OURSELVES, HOME PROPERTY, CARS, AND POSSESSIONS. WHEREVER THERE IS AN OUTPOURING OF THE BLOOD OF JESUS, IT IS FOLLOWED BY AN OUTPOURING OF THE HOLY SPIRIT.
NOTICE! NOTICE!! NOTICE!!!
For the next 7 (Seven) days starting from today, everyone should engage in blood sprinkling and the taking of communion every night before bed!
Invoke the blood of Jesus over your desired marriage date, on your desired career job, that health issue or on any issue in your life.
Please pass this information to all members of the Winners family and also to your family around the globe, for God is releasing vengeance on the wicked.
I admit that these are not the world’s best known blogs and therefore as such do not prove the popularity of this doctrine. I suggest that you use Google and do your own research. You will see that this is a popular teaching. These are just a sampling of websites expressing common views and arguments pertaining to this error.
I want to counter this heretical teaching by looking at:
1. Examining the Biblical understanding of Blood, as found in the Old and New Testaments.
2. The commands of Jesus on how we should pray
3. General verses on Prayer and Protection, including Revelations 12:11
4. A Comparison
In the Old Testament:
- Animal Blood was used for purification or for ceremonial cleansing (Lev_14:5-7, Lev_14:51, Lev_14:52; Num_19:4).
- The only possible superstitious use of Blood is found in 1 Kings 22:38.
- Blood in the Old Testament is used with regards to cleansing, atoning for sin (expiatory).
The blood sacrifices of the Old Testament were temporary w.r.t their atoning properties. Exodus 12:13 is often used to substantiate this kind of thinking. Without denying in anyway that we have a type of the Blood of Christ here, please answer this. From whom where the Israelites protected? From the Egyptians? From Satan and/or his demons? No! The Lord himself is the judge and executioner that they are being saved from!
This argument also hold true when it comes to the final judgement. Who is going to judge us? God. (Revelation 20:11).
In the New Testament:
- nor by the blood of goats and calves, but by His own blood He entered once for all into the Holies, having obtained eternal redemption for us. (Heb 9:12 MKJV)
- And almost all things are by the law purged with blood, and without shedding of blood is no remission. (Heb 9:22 MKJV)
- These verses summarises the relevant New Testament teaching.
Jesus on Prayer
Searching the MKJV for the phrase “in my Name” we find 16 hits, all in the Gospels. Not all these verses refer to prayer. Matthew 18 vv5 and 20 such examples.
The following three examples should suffice in summarising what Jesus taught about praying in His Name.
- And whatever you may ask in My name, that I will do, so that the Father may be glorified in the Son. (Joh 14:13 MKJV)
- If you ask anything in My name, I will do it. (Joh 14:14 MKJV)
- And in that day you shall ask Me nothing. Truly, truly, I say to you, Whatever you shall ask the Father in My name, He will give you. (Joh 16:23 MKJV)
Not once does Jesus tell us to plead in His blood. We are never told to use His blood in anyway. Even when you repent of your sins and turn to Christ, pleading his blood dos not enter in to the picture.
We are to put our faith in Christ, and then because of who Christ is, we can trust in his works and sacrifice. It does not work the other way around. Claiming to trust Christ’s works does not give us salvation.
General Verses on Prayer and Protection
Let us begin by examining another verse that is often misconstrued to justify praying in/for/with/through/over/under/behind and in close proximity to the blood of Jesus.
- And they overcame him because of the blood of the Lamb, and because of the word of their testimony. And they did not love their soul until death. (Rev 12:11 MKJV)
The Pulpit Commentary says about the blood, “That is, “the blood of the Lamb” is the ground or reason of their victory, not the instrument.” Allow me to comment on this. The “blood of the Lamb” signifies something. What? The ultimate and completed victory of Christ over sin and death by his death on the Cross.
What gave the Saints (Revelations 12:11) victory, therefore is the victory of Christ and not the “blood of the Lamb” as a weapon.
It is significant to note that nowhere in the Armour of God (Eph 6:11-18) is the Blood of Jesus mentioned.
- Put on the whole armour of God so that you may be able to stand against the wiles of the devil. For we do not wrestle against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the world’s rulers, of the darkness of this age, against spiritual wickedness in high places. Therefore take to yourselves the whole armour of God, that you may be able to withstand in the evil day, and having done all, to stand. (Eph 6:11-13 MKJV)
In James we find the following about prayer and affliction:
- Is any among you afflicted? Let him pray. Is any cheerful? Let him sing psalms. Is any sick among you? Let him call for the elders of the church, and let them pray over him, anointing him with oil in the name of the Lord. And the prayer of faith will cure the sick, and the Lord shall raise him up. And if he has committed sins, it will be forgiven him. (Jas 5:13-15 MKJV)
Again we find that neither Paul, James or any other writers of the Epistles enjoined us to plead the blood of the Lamb. It is just not Biblical. It is extra-biblical. Extra does not mean more than the Bible but outside of the Bible.
We find the following prayer, which is apparently borrowed from Benny Hinn here
“Lord, I cover myself and everyone around me with the blood of Jesus. I cover all of the members of my family (state them by name) with the blood of Jesus. I cover my home, my land, my car, my finances, my marriage, my ministry, with the blood of Jesus. In the Name of Jesus Christ, by the power of His blood, I break off every power of the kingdom of darkness and cancel every argument in heaven that has established itself against the plans of God in my life and spoil every attack of the enemy. I call forth, in the name of Jesus, all of God’s plans and purposes for my life, and my family. As for me and my house, we shall serve the Lord. Satan, the blood of Jesus is against you and you have no authority over my life. NO WEAPON FORMED AGAINST ME (OR MY FAMILY) SHALL PROSPER!”
In the Taratra Newspaper, a publication in Madagascar we find the following:
By examining your palms and face, we will tell you about your past, present and future, with regards to your health, your work, studies, marriage, love, children, money (wealth), marital problems, the Law, how what happens abroad affects you and your luck w.r.t winning (something).
We can solve any problem, e.g. dissolving “bad medicine” made against you, rid you of eve spirits and provide protection etc.
We will also give you a stone that brings Good Luck.
Did you notice that both the “blood of the Lamb” and the work of the astrologer does exactly the same. The one uses the blood and the other supplies a lucky stone.
Using the “blood of Jesus” to pleading protection etc. is nothing but turning it in to an amulet or talisman. What is an amulet or a talisman? The Encyclopedic Dictionary of Cult, Sects and World Religions describes a talisman as “a magic object, often engraved with symbols or a picture of a character that is believed to harness special power to protect or prosper the owner or possessor. Talismans are sometimes used to protect oneself against evil spirit or demons. Sometimes they are also used to attain love, health, success, and power.” (Quoted from http://christianityinafrica.wordpress.com/2010/04/26/pleading-the-blood-of-jesus-a-common-error-in-prayer-2/
I remind you of the quote from the Pulpit Commentary. “That is, “the blood of the Lamb” is the ground or reason of their victory, not the instrument.” Pleading the blood turns it into an instrument, and thus, a talisman or amulet.
What did Jesus use to heal a blind man? See Mark 8:23 and John 9:3. He used his spit. Why are there no people pleading the power of His spit?
I you are in the habit of pleading the Blood of Jesus, please reconsider this practice carefully. It is un-Biblical to say the least. Christ Himself commands us repeatedly to pray in his Name.
Have you also had a similar experience where someone prayed for you like I mentioned right at the beginning?
Filed under: Generalities, Seeking, Theology | Tagged: blood, Christ, error, heresy, lamb, protection | 2 Comments »